The 5W1H method is an outstanding method to better understand and delineate situations.
Below is the description of Work flow Analysis using 5W1H Technique.
What is a Workflow?
Workflows are a sequence of tasks that your business carries out on a regular basis.
It can be described as a representation of a sequence of activities that take place in order to achieve a particular task, or series of tasks.
Who uses Work flow Analysis?
Business Analyst, Business Stake holders, Project Management people and sometimes Development Team
Where we use Work Flow?
In IT Industry where software /application is going to be developed.
When to use Workflow?
When the client realizes that there is a need for a software application in their process, then the client will do an initial analysis on the required features of the software application .After planning and before Implementation Organization will follow their own logic process that is done through workflow analysis.
Why we use Work flow?
This analysis is used to identify improvements in efficiency in all areas of business.
The idea behind this is to identify all the necessary steps to undertake a particular task, and identify areas where Process improvements can be done.
How Workflow Analysis works in Typical SDLC?
- Pre Project – In this phase Business Case will be prepared by performing Enterprise Analysis.
- Planning & Estimation: BA will conduct Stakeholder analysis and plans Strategy along with Project Manager to reach the project goal.
- Requirements Gathering: Sorts the gathered requirements and prioritize requirements by using MoSCoW technique and validate those requirements using FURPS. BA prepares appropriate documents and to give more clarity Prototyping can also be done.
- Requirements Analysis: Visual representations of requirements are being made in this phase such as UML Diagrams. Prepares “Software Requirement Specification Document” ,which should be approved by Client to proceed with the project development.
- Design: Actual Design is being prepared by DB Architects and GUI Designers using Design Documents like High level Design Document& Application Design Document.
- Coding: Through JAD sessions BA clarifies queries of technical team during coding and keeps track on status of development process.
- Testing: Testing Concerning Documents are being prepared in this phase by testers and outcome should be an Error free application.
- Deployment & Implementation: After successful deployment of the project BA will facilitate UAT and gets approval from client on project closure form .
Benefits of Workflow Analysis:
- Optimizing working practices
- Improve productivity and profitability by Identifying savings in resource allocation
- Saving Time
- Saving expenditure on materials and people
- May improve intangibles such as: