Requirement is defined as a representation of a need, goal, objectives and outcomes. Requirement is a thing which is used for business need for solving a problem in a business opportunity. This representation actually requires for engineering team to develop the solution according to the business need.
A requirement is a statement provided by stakeholder about what they think they need in order to solve a particular business problem or respond to a specific business need.
If we take an example of booking movie ticket online.
Requirements are like
- Sales department needs a digital channel for allowing customers to book their movie ticket online
- The system shall display the available seats for a movie show
- The system shall allow the customers to select the available seats.
We can differentiate between need and requirement.
- needs are goals and objectives a business must achieve, on the other hand requirements are the things we need to do in order to achieve a need.
- Business need is an independent thing that changes any time with the change in business goal. on the other hand business requirement is dependent on business need and changes as soon as the need is changed.
- Need is a broad concept that is not comprehensive and does not determine how to achieve a goal versus requirement is a detailed process that specifies what a human being needs to do step-by-step to achieve a goal.