UNDERSTANDING WHAT SRS MEANS IN SIMPLE WORDS-
- As the name suggest Software Requirements Specification, this documents focuses on Solution Requirements of the proposed software product.
- SRS in simple words, it is a comprehensive summary of software product that needs to be developed.
- It contains information on all the requirements like functional and non-functional, other requirements like hardware requirements, UI requirements
- It will describe what the software will do and how it will be expected to perform.
- It is very important Document; it should be comply with 3C – Correct, Clear and Consistent in terms of requirements and validity till sign of the project.
UNDERSTANDING SECTIONS OF DOUMENT IN SIMPLE WORDS-
INTIAL PAGES – Project Name, document name as Software Requirement Specification, Writer Name, and Version details etc.
Then main sections come into picture as below.
INTRODUCTION SECTION –
1.In this Section, Brief Introduction is given by writer with below sub headings.
2. Purpose of SRS Document
3. Scope – In tells about overall working of the product as well as what value client will get is explained.
4. Description of development cost and Total time required.
It tells about description of product and other related points. Some the points I have discussed as below.
- Current System/Stage
2. Proposed Solution/System
3. Benefits of Proposed Solution or system
ASSUMPTIONS – Assumed Factors That Could affect the Requirements Stated in the SRS Document.
CONSTRAINTS OR LIMITATIONS-
it will provide an idea of limitation or restriction are specified and explained for design team. Ex- Software will not include particular algorithm, as well as limitations of hardware, software limitations, etc.
This is very important section in SRS document. It consists of requirement related information as below.
1. Functional Requirement- act as input for what functionalities proposed system will deliver.
2. Non-Functional Requirement- supporting retirements so that main functionalities will perform as per expatiations. Some nonfunctional requirements are related to security, speed and capacity.
- Other Important requirements asked by Stakeholders like UI design, Hardware requirements etc.
ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA –
This is also important section of document which provides description about conditions that must be met by the final product so that customer will accept the final system and provides final signoff. These conditions are discussed at very initial level of the project.
This section will tell about information like
- References- from where information is gathered
- Definitions – of the terms used in document
- Acronyms and Abbreviations etc.
(Writer – Vikram S.)