Prototyping and its Advantages and Disadvantages
Prototyping is creating a preliminary version of the project so that it can be replicated into the actual final design. Prototyping enables the client to visualize the project before the finalizing design or requirement.
A prototype may not include all the functionalities and does not represent the complete system. It is created after gathering the requirement from the client regarding the product, creating a quick design and modeling it in prototype of the system. This prototype is then reviewed by the client to understand to progress of the project. It gives a better understanding by visualizing the project with the help of mock-up screens. Client might come up with some modifications or additional new requirement which will have to be included in the design. There by refining the prototype and finalizing it so as to have it developed, tested and implemented.
Prototyping is beneficial when the end user interacts with the system and provides feedback for modifications. These feedback’s are incorporated in the system to produce a usable system.
There are various tools used for prototyping:
- Justinmind Prototyper
- Adobe XD
- Client is involved in the process.
- Client can visualize the system and have a better understanding of the expected system behavior.
- Client can provide modification, rectification and addition of new system design and functionalities.
- It acts as a tool for requirement elicitation for a business analyst.
- It provides a quick representation of an incomplete system to gather and clarify requirements so as to produce a complete final product.
- Enables to detect design flaws at the early stage of development.
- Prototyping may lead to system complexities as the client may come up with some unexpected changes which are out of the scope of the project.
- It is time consuming to re-implement the changes and with a budget constraint.
- It may lead to design constraints as addition of design or functionalities is limited to screen space.
- It does not represent complete system and functionalities. It does not reproduce the system as per client expectations or over expectations.