The purpose of this blog to provide the overview on the Project Change Management process.
To improve the business value of the Organization, anytime CR will be identified by anyone and managed by the Project team.
The primary objectives of change management are>
- Log the Change request details in CRF & CID Log and communicate the team
- Evaluate the need of CR and provide the decision.
- Follow the required steps to implement the CR
- Track the CR in all phases
CR – Change Request
CRF – Change Request Form
CCB – Change Control Board
CID – Change, Issues, Decision
CR initiator can be anyone from stakeholders can propose the change request during the execution of the project based on reviewing the application features or market trends or need of new features.
CR initiator has to provide the below information to record in CRF and distributes the form to the Project Manager/Project Sponsor.
Change Request Form (CRF) >
- Description of the change
- Description of the change
- Any supporting documentation
- CR initiator has to provide the information of new change to record into CRF.
- Project manager logs the CR details in CID Log.
- Project manager reviews the CR and collects more info from the CR Initiator if need
- Project manger distributes the CR details to CCB, Project Sponsor and all stakeholders.
- CCB team gather the details below from the Project team
- benefit from the new change
- risk by the new change
- impact analysis ( budget, time, scope change, resources, quality)
- CCB team discuss with the CR initiator to know the insights and need of the new CR
- CCB team evaluates the new CR and provides the decision whether to implement now or later or never.
- If new CR is approved, Project Manager inform the team to plan the new CR to implement in the project
- Project manager updates the budget plan, resources plan and release plan accordingly. am
- Project sponsor determine the priority of the CR and Project manager plans the release.
- If new CR is rejected, all stakeholders will be informed with the rejection notes.
- Project manager tracks the CR using CID log
- Organization gets business value
- Organization keep provides valuable features to the customers
- CR may simplify the application and make it more user friendly
- Project gets fail if impact analysis is not done properly
- Organization may lose business if the required CRs are not implemented in time.
- Technical architect, Dev and QA teams should be aware of the CR in advance to avoid the major design changes later
Project team must evaluate the need of the CR with the help of impact analysis and every team member should be aware of the CR in advance. CRs should be tracked very carefully in all stages and need more attention in QA process.