GAP analysis is the comparison of actual performance against expected or desired performance. GAP analysis can be used in many areas such as services, human resource management, finance, sales, productivity, quality assurance, cost control, market competitiveness. One of the best example of GAP analysis is conducting Process Maturity Assessment which will give a insights into current project status against the desired or agreed service terms with the clients on various parameters such as total productivity, efficiency, quality, process improvements etc.
Post the GAP analysis we can arrive at;
- What is the current state? is it in par with desired state or not.
- List the factors needed to achieve future objectives
- Understand the blockers or hurdles by conducting brainstorming sessions
- Highlight the gaps that exist
- Build a strategy to bridge the gaps such as Implementing new process improvement ideas, refresher trainings, re-frame the process structure etc.
Conclusion – GAP analysis is one of the best technique which any organization can implement to determine its present performance and bridge the gaps to meet its objectives & mitigate risks involved if any.