Dr. Kaoru Ishikawa,A Japanese quality control expert has invented the fishbone diagram to help employees.To avoid solutions that hardly address the symptoms of a much larger problem.
A fishbone diagram, also called a cause and effect diagram or Ishikawa diagram.it is a visualization tool for capturing the causes of a problem in order to identify its root causes.
- A fishbone diagram is useful in brainstorming sessions to focus conversation between facilitator and focus group.
- After the group has brainstormed all the possible causes for a problem,
- the facilitator helps the group to rate the causes according to their level of importance and diagram a hierarchy.
- The design of the diagram looks like a skeleton of a fish.
- Fishbone diagrams are typically worked right to left, with each large “bone” of the fish branching out to include smaller bones containing more detail.
How To Create A Fish Diagram
- Create a head, which lists the effects, problem or issue to be studied.
- Create a backbone for the fish, straight line which leads to the head.
- Identify at causes that contribute to the problem. Connect these causes with arrows to the spine. These will create the first bones of the fish.
- This cause could be as follow
- Brainstorm around each cause to document those things that contributed to the cause. Use the 5 Whys or another questioning process to keep the conversation focused.
- Continue breaking down each cause until the root causes have been identified.
Here is another example to understand root causes for a long waiting time in a hospital
Five important points you need to understand before dealing into root cause analysis using fishbone diagram in healthcare industry
- Visual diagram always gives an edge in analyzing clinical problems.
- More number of healthcare professionals are using fishbone diagram to analyze their problems.
- It is advisable to appoint a group moderator or facilitator while doing the brainstorming sessions.
- Having a moderator helps to avoid digressive discussions and to bring the group together to identify action items.
- Discussing the causes in a detailed way helps the organization to identify modern solutions which you haven’t considered earlier.
- Being open towards root cause analysis helps to identify the actual root cause and the relationship with it to the effect in turn to identify an effective solution.