It’s quite difficult to gather and document the requirements. We need to know how to build a structure that enhances comprehension and makes it simple to conquer the analysis. Requirements have characteristics that define them. These characteristics ensure the stakeholders in the respective business analysis receive what they gain from the requirements. Many stakeholders don’t know such characteristics. Categorizing these requirements helps the stakeholders access the information they need from the requirement.
When the requirements are categorized, we’re able to communicate the different levels of requirements to the right stakeholders with each understanding the requirements in their own terms.
Even though categorizing becomes instinctive, it may seem mixed up first. The stakeholder’s keep on talking and we’ll find it difficult to make a clear picture of it. The process of categorizing requirements are as follows:
- Capture the requirements- The idea will seem to be simple, but the first step is to capture requirement using elicitation techniques like questionnaires, JAD sessions.
- Look for valid words-The elicitation notes are being assessed and search the stakeholder’s statement. Below are the methods to categorize requirements:
- Business and stakeholder’s requirements: It’ll contain phrases that describe “we need a way to” and “we need to be able to”. They are reviewed and used by SME’s, technical team.
- Solution requirements: It’ll contain words such as “the system will”. These will contain solution component. They are reviewed and used by SME’s, BA
iii. Technical requirements: They’ll contain technical phrases. They’re checked and used by developers, testers.
- Transitional requirements: These requirements are based on moving from current state to the future state. They are reviewed and used by sme’s, testing team, BA
- Clarification with the stakeholders: The requirements need to be clarified with the stakeholders to confirm whether the understanding based on the requirements is right or not.
- Documenting requirements: The requirements needs to be documented and the right requirement needs to be placed in the right category.